Business births and deaths in the U.S. have always been a mystery—for a couple of reasons:
- The government and academia only try to track about 22% of all businesses—those with the greatest potential for a high growth rate—and what little information they do produce is several years in arrears.
- The remaining 78% of all U.S. businesses are generally ignored—considered not to exist—not only by the government and academia, but also by the business pundits and “experts” within the business community itself.
As a result, there is little to no information about the lives of 78% of all businesses in the U.S.—and information on the other 22% is years late, often contradictory, and highly suspect.
Since, apparently, no one else in the U.S. cares much about whether our small businesses live or die, I thought I would research the mystery of small business births and deaths myself.
The results of this endeavor are presented in a report I created titled Business Survival Reality: The Mystery of Business Births and Deaths in the U.S.
This report looks at the following issues:
- Why this information is important
- The definition of a business
- A total business census in the U.S.
- Annual business growth (including all businesses)
- Business Births by year
- Business Deaths by year
- Conclusions and Final Thoughts about the entire mystery
My primary intent in writing this report is to try and generate a dialogue about the 78% of all businesses in the U.S. that no one seems to care about.
There is a dearth of information being directed specifically at this important segment of our business community. Also, any kind of assistance offered by either government or private entities is almost nonexistent.
This large group of small businesses is composed of the businesses in the U.S. that need the most help—and receive none.
We in the business community need to do more to help these millions of small businesses that try to start a business every year, and more often than not—fail.
Take a look at this small report—you can download it free here with no opt-in—and let me know what you think about the information presented in it.